Was it a “sensible name” or an “overreaction”?
On February 18 (KST), Purple Velvet‘s Seulgi held a fan meet, celebrating her birthday with 600 followers.
All through the occasion, Seulgi carried out a number of performances—together with covers of aespa‘s “Phantasm,” EXO‘s “Love Shot,” and Paul Kim‘s “Each day, Each Second”…
— Honey Is Candy (@HoneyIsSweet210) February 18, 2023
…although she ended up turning down the followers’ request to bounce to NewJeans‘ “Hype Boy.” After doing the preliminary steps, Seulgi refused to do the remainder explaining that she doesn’t wish to “trigger bother.”
Seulgi didn’t point out specifics, however followers understood the remark to be in relation to the continuing energy wrestle between SM Leisure and HYBE.
으응..하입보아 못추는 이유는..더보기 pic.twitter.com/nLNA3GVUCz
— 🏝 (@asxland) February 18, 2023
I’ll must put this one on maintain for later. You perceive, proper? I’m not trying to trigger bother, so…
Following the occasion, Seulgi’s choice sparked a heated debate on-line amongst Korean K-Pop followers. Between those who believed the idol “made a wise name” not placing herself in a susceptible place that would result in potential gossip…
- “It’s so bizarre how some persons are calling out the followers for failing to learn the room. Each single idol has lined ‘Hype Boy.’ In fact, a few of them are going to ask to see if from Seulgi, too. I doubt any of them needed to get her in bother by asking her to bounce to it.”
- “You possibly can inform K-Pop idols are so finished with getting concerned in groundless controversies. You possibly can inform from Seulgi’s excessive warning. It’s the haters, trolls, and tabloid reporters who’re the true downside.”
- “Seulgi made a good move.”
- “Don’t blame the followers for this, LMAO. ‘Hype Boy’ is such a preferred problem. It is sensible that Seulgi’s followers would have needed to see her do it. It’s disappointing to see all these individuals trying to find gossip.”
- “A few of these feedback are out of line. Persons are so indignant nowadays.”
- “Followers who requested her to do the dance usually are not at fault. Seulgi who politely turned the request down will not be at fault. Folks getting labored up over this and getting mad at them are f*cking bizarre. LOL. Simply take it out on Lee Soo Man.”
- “You possibly can hear the followers sigh in realization, too. On the floor, it could be ‘only a dance.’ However Seulgi was being sensible… She was trying far, far into the long run. Should be onerous on her and other people like her. I really feel unhealthy.”
…and those who accused her of “overreacting” and having no official purpose to “make an enormous deal out of an harmless request,” the disagreement grew fierce. Over a thousand feedback gathered beneath a web based put up discussing the scenario.
- “Seulgi may have finished the dance and I don’t suppose individuals would have learn that deep into it. I believe she put the entire thing in highlight extra so as a result of she refused. Haha.”
- “I don’t know. However seeing how persons are reacting, I consider Seulgi did the precise factor… to have refused.”
- “Folks getting pissed about her not doing the dance have to be pondering, ‘How dare she not cowl Hype Boy?’ Like, it’s okay to say no.”
- “It’s as much as Seulgi to determine to do the dance. It’s her choice to smile it off. It’s as if individuals’s brains are all wired to criticize. F*cking lunatics.”
- “Seulgi was sensible.”
- “It’s as a result of Seulgi refused to do the dance that persons are drawing the road at commenting how ‘bizarre’ it’s for her to have finished so. Had she lined the dance, individuals would have gone mad. She would have been slapped with hate feedback about how she’s ‘not in her proper thoughts,’ or she’s ‘being careless regardless of the issues occurring within the corporations,’ and whatnot. LOL. She made the wisest choice.”
Seulgi hasn’t since responded to the controversy. Among the many followers, although, it appears the controversy is—in any case—coming all the way down to a single conclusion: It was, from the start, Seulgi’s choice to make, interval.
Seulgi has without end been cautious about getting herself concerned in something that’s doubtlessly controversial. She has, since her debut, taken the identical form of stance. She wouldn’t have finished the dance, as soon as she made up her thoughts, even when HYBE was not within the query. It’s her choice to make, let her be.
— On-line Remark